I hate gdm!

Hello all,

Could somebody tell me a way to force the uninstall of gdm?  It refuses to
uninstall, and my apt system is locked up because it can't get past
uninstalling gdm.  I've tried dselect and dpkg --remove.  Here is the output:

Removing gdm ...
dpkg: error processing gdm (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
 gdm

I tried gdm and decided I liked kdm much better.  But I can't install it (or
anything else) until I uninstall gdm.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
James Smith