Re: Packaging WM themes - question

On Fri, 25 May 2001 15:26:38 +0200
Casper Gielen <casper@huiscomputer.homeip.net> wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 11:44:14AM +0200, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
> >
> > Don't tell me, that you absolutely have to install Debian on a 386.  No
> > one has to do that, you can always use a bigger machine for the initial
> > setup.  Hell, back in the "old days" people were suggesting to compile
> > the kernels on another machine, so you wouldn't have to wait all day
> > long.
>
> Unfortunatly large parts of the world still consider a 386 a fast
> computer.
> --
> 	Casper Gielen
> casper@huiscomputer.homeip.net, capslock2000@mailandnews.com
> --
> People just generally like to disagree.
> 	Bill Joy
>

> --

While nothing is perfect and nothing can meet everyone's needs, Debian and KDE as they are today remain quite useable on minimal machines in the right situations.  The ticket for these older boxes is to deploy them as X Terminals within a LAN.  I don't have any 386 machines, but I do have some as minimal as 486SX 33 with 8MB and can assure you that KDE 2.x and applications like the Star Office suite can be used on these little beasts.

Later,

Colin Mattoon