Re: stupid, but I have to ask it - how to start it up once installed

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:32:30AM -0500, James Smith wrote:
> try this:
> cd /etc/alternatives
> ln -s /usr/bin/startkde x-window-manager
> Then startx.  You might have to rm  the old x-window-manager first

Thanks for the advice. But it doesn't do the trick. I still just get a
konsole session in the midst of a grey screen.

The thing to keep in mind is that this is a virgin install, potato basics
plus just enough XFree to get it going plus the automated kde2.1 install -
there has never been a window manager installed (and there was no old
x-window-manager file sitting there).

Probably most folks come to kde2.1 on potato having already been running
some older window manager, and the tweaks being suggested are I'm sure
enough to get it to replace that. But I see a lot of people getting
frustrated elsewhere on what a bitch it is to put kde2.1 even on a virgin RH
7.0 box, and it would be great if we could tell them '_this_ is the reason
to go Debian.' There'd only have to be about 4 steps in a HOWTO for fresh
Debian/kde2.1 installation, and unless the auto install sequence is updated
to handle this particular one automatically (or did I miss a "Would you like
kde as your default window manager?" query?), this would be one of the steps
to spell out.

Looking forward to learning what it is,

Whit
whit@transpect.com