Re: disabling the render extension

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 09:08:45PM -0700, David Bishop wrote:
> Digging around on bugs.kde.org, I found out that the problems I'm having with
> my xinerama setup are due to a bug in my xserver, specifically the render
> extension.  The (terse) reply is "disable the render extention".  So.  How in
> the heck do I do that without uninstalling the entire xfree package and
> compiling from source, downgrading to 3.3.6 (ick), or some other weirdness.
> Am I asking too much?  You'd think, with the fact that only a couple drivers
> can do it anyways, that it would be an option that you get seperate to the
> base X install.  So, what are my options?  Besides using Enlightenment as my
> window manager, which, believe me, isn't working too well with kde 2.1.0 :-(

umm...the Render extension is just that...a extension.  nobody forces you
to load it...you don't have to re-install. And there are alot more than
a couple drivers that can do it.  Either way, it's a extra feature and far
from required...

options are:

   1 - turn off AA support under Look & Feel / Styles
   2 - turn off Render support completely by removing the line that
       loads it in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file
   3 - open up konsole/xter/whatever first, type "export QT_XFT=0" then
       run xinerama

Of course all of this is documented in both readmes and the documentation
that comes with X and QT.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II