disabling the render extension

Digging around on bugs.kde.org, I found out that the problems I'm having with
my xinerama setup are due to a bug in my xserver, specifically the render
extension.  The (terse) reply is "disable the render extention".  So.  How in
the heck do I do that without uninstalling the entire xfree package and
compiling from source, downgrading to 3.3.6 (ick), or some other weirdness.
Am I asking too much?  You'd think, with the fact that only a couple drivers
can do it anyways, that it would be an option that you get seperate to the
base X install.  So, what are my options?  Besides using Enlightenment as my
window manager, which, believe me, isn't working too well with kde 2.1.0 :-(

TIA

D.A.Bishop

P.S.  I *really* like the AA fonts and everything that RENDER gives me, I
would just like to be able to actually use kwm more :-P