Re: KDE 2.1 + QT 2.3.0 problems

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 02:33:58PM +0100, Joaquim Ortega Cerd? wrote:
> Thank-you,
> This tip really worked. Indeed the package freefont contains many fonts which
> have antialiasing suport, but it seems that one has to add
> dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont"
> in the file /etc/X11/XftConfig  to make them available to KDE. There is
> somehting strange in that, even without adding this line to  XftConfig
> they were available to X as xlsfonts showed but to no use to KDE.

X isn't running in AA mode...KDE is.  So there will be non-AA capable fonts
available to X apps that are not available to KDE.

I think this is the biggest misconception people have with all of this.  When
AA support is turned on, KDE apps will only see fonts which it can use...ie
fonts that support AA.  non-KDE apps (xlsfonts for example) are looking at
fonts in general and not at which ones are AA capable and which ones are not.

The XftConfig file tells the Xft specific bits of X only about Xft fonts.  So
when something accesses X and says hey...give me a list of Xft (AA) capable
fonts X will consult the XftConfig file.  When something accesses X and says
hey...give me a list of fonts..X will just consult it's normal font list.

At least that's how I see the whole thing...and I'm still trying to figure
it all out.  :)

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II