Re: kde and debian

Since you are new to Debian, I will add a bit more to what Thibaut said.

(1) Look carefully at www.debian.org for install instructions.  There is
great background material there to help you with Debian.  Also, O'Reilly has
an on-line book for Debian newbies.  It is dated, but still a big help.

(2) Like Thibaut, I also use dselect rather then apt-get.  But remember to
use the apt method for dselect!  That is the first dselect menu item.

(3) Once you have your /etc/apt/sources.list to your liking, (following
Thibaut's suggestion for KDE2, and the instructions at www.debian.org for
the rest of what you will need in /etc/apt/sources.list) then use the second
menu item under dselect to update your packages.  Who knows what versions of
the software that cheapbytes gave you?  But a package update (to potato
which most of us use here) and subsequent install (4th dselect menu item)
will bring you into conformance with potato.  If the 3rd menu item on
dselect shows you lots of local packages after such an update and install,
then it is possible that cheapbytes gave you something newer than potato
such as the testing=woody distribution of Debian.  I believe that will
also work fine with KDE2, but I have no personal experience yet.

Alan

email: irwin@beluga.phys.uvic.ca
phone: 250-727-2902	FAX: 250-721-7715
snail-mail:
Dr. Alan W. Irwin
Department of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Victoria, P.O. Box 3055,
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8W 3P6

Linux-powered astrophysics