kppp doesn't work out of the box

Don't get me wrong. I have managed to make kppp work. But that's
after I copied the permissions and other fiddly stuff from my
Mandrake installation.

My questions: Is this normal? Or is my installation somehow
non-standard that the installation script gets confused? Are there
any particular reasons (security issues, perhaps) why kppp doesn't
come "pre-configured" at install time?

Can someone post his/her permissions on the following files (slightly
edited bash output under LM 7.2)?

[root@localhost penguin]# which kppp | xargs ls -all
-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root       /usr/bin/kppp
[root@localhost penguin]# which pppd | xargs ls -all
-rwsr-xr-t    1 root     root       /usr/sbin/pppd

Also I would appreciate the output of someone's working ppp options
file.

[root@localhost penguin]# egrep -v '#|^ *$' /etc/ppp/options
lock
noauth