Re: Installation from local files?

Denis NICOLAS wrote:

>                 Hi!
>
>         I've downloaded the KDE2 packages for potato (from
> ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/2.0/distribution/deb/Debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/).
> But as I'm new to Debian, I don't quite know what to do with them now...
> I've messed around for a while with apt-get (a "Packages" file seems to
> be missing), dselect and dpkg, to no avail :-(
>
>         Could anyone please help me?
>
>         Cheers!
>
> --

dpkg -R /home/foo

should install all deb packages in the directory foo.
While I haven't tested it it should work according to dpkg --help
Alternate would be to install package by package with dpkg -i foo.deb
hunting for dependencies (ugh !) .
For apt or dselect you need to create the packages.gz file in the
directory.
You can do that with dpkg-scanpackages .

Also you can add the relevant line in /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://kde.tdyc.com potato main crypto optional qt1apps

do an
apt-get update

then to avoid redownloading all pacakges again just copy them from where
they are
to /var/cache/apt/archives
apt will check the dependencies and download only what you don't have
already.
But you have to do the update first so apt knows what those packages are
about.

--
The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it.
     Alan Saporta