Re: Installing KDE2 from CD

I wouldn't trust any CD version of KDE Debian because it is bound to be
dated.  First, KDE2 itself is changing as it moves rapidly to the 2.0.1
bug-fixed release of 2.0.0.  Second, through Ivan's incredible labors, the
Debian packaging is being improved all the time as well.

So without web access you would be cooked, but I am assuming from now on you
do have access to the web. Make sure you are using the apt method for
dselect. If you are using woody=unstable, then the Debian packages for KDE2
are built right in.  But woody is still getting broken from time to time.
If you use potato=stable like most of us, then here is the recipe.

The other day Ivan gave the new line to put into /etc/apt/sources.list which
will allow you to obtain KDE2 for potato.  I will repeat it again here
because you may have missed it.

deb http://kde.tdyc.com potato main qt1apps optional crypto

Ivan's notes on the various sections:
main = kde 2 + kde2 based apps
qt1apps = qt1 based apps and kde 1.1.2
crypto = kdebase-crypto and kdelibs-crypto ... + libssl096  (pretty much it)
optional = updated packages (from woody) such as apache and any ssl based
         app (all compiled against libssl096).  Not necessary (or at least
	          shouldn't be..but not tested)

Note the potato packages are just settling down from a major change so
everything might not work right away (see recent messages to this list). For
this reason I haven't updated myself recently, but I probably will shortly
because there have been some positive reports about using the above line in
sources.list.

Alan

email: irwin@beluga.phys.uvic.ca
phone: 250-727-2902	FAX: 250-721-7715
snail-mail:
Dr. Alan W. Irwin
Department of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Victoria, P.O. Box 3055,
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8W 3P6

Linux-powered astrophysics