Re: why is sound not working properly ?

On Wednesday 22 November 2000 20:52, James D. Freels wrote:
> Debian-KDE2 colleagues:
>
> I have all the latest potato kde2 packages installed here on my work
> machine and home machine.  Everything seems to be working properly
> except the sound on my work machine.  I have the same setup on my home
> machine, but the sound works properly on that machine.  The difference
> is that the home machine is using the kernel-internal sound drivers
> for the pci-card soundblaster-16, whereas the work machine is using
> the kernel-external ALSA sound drivers for the Yamaha DS-XG PCI
> (YMF740C) on the motherboard.

Artsd (sound daemon used by KDE 2) uses /dev/dsp.  For the kernel
sound drivers this is the native interface.  Alsa has an emulation
layer to support /dev/dsp

> The sound on the work (ALSA Yamaha drivers) machine is garbled.  It
> works somewhat, but not entirely correctly.  Basically, all
> sound-enabled applications (such as realplayer, xmms, etc.) that are
> not kde2 applications, the sound works fine.  On the other hand, all
> kde2 sound-enabled applications (internal wav player, kaiman, etc.)
> the sound comes out, but is garbled.  On the home machine, all sound
> works properly.

Do realplayer and xmms use /dev/dsp or the 'native' alsa devices?
If they use /dev/dsp then I would guess it's a bug in artsd sound
sub system that tried to initialize and use /dev/dsp or in the alsa
/dev/dsp emulation layer.

I would suggest to ask the list kde-multimedia@kde.org what could be the
cause.

Achim

> I suspect an 8 bit/16 bit issue or some other incompatibility.

Check kde-multimedia archive on lists.kde.org  Stephab Westerfeld
described some ago what artsd expects what a sound card driver has
to support.

> Are there any ideas on how to fix this?  I have seen several
> sound-related issues on this mailing list, so I apologize if this is a
> FAQ.

Use kernel sound drivers also on the work machine? :)

Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com