Re: Qimo games

Hi Andreas,

> when playing around on an Ubuntu machine I stumbled upon the metapackage
> qimo-games and found the according web page:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qimo_4_Kids

I know Qimo of course, and have always found their package set was quite
reduced relatively to the Debian offer for children.

> I really wonder whether finally all those people having the very same
> goal like Debian Jr could finally assemble under one common hood.
> Sometimes it seems to me that the freedom to do anything you want is
> a really got chance to block effective cooperation.

You're right. One the one hand every distro wants its edu flavor. On the
other hand, competing projects need a value added to make the
difference. There may not be effective cooperation but, as the source
code is open, I believe there is likely indirect cooperation. Note
however that not all edu distro publishes the tools they use to build
their distro.

> Any volunteer to contact those people and offer the chances Debian Jr.
> could offer?

What would you propose the volunteer to do? Merging their packages into
Debian Jr.? Note that I still haven't moved the DDL package sets into
Debian Jr., I need to hurry up before the Wheezy freeze…

> Meanwhile I might inspect those metapackages they are using and turn
> them into Blends code ...

I'm interested in reading your analysis. I remember to have downloaded
their customization packages years ago but did not find so many
interesting things in the end.

--
Cheers,
JM.