Re: Qimo games

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:40:22PM +0200, Jean-Michel Philippe wrote:
> > when playing around on an Ubuntu machine I stumbled upon the metapackage
> > qimo-games and found the according web page:
> >
> >    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qimo_4_Kids
>
> I know Qimo of course, and have always found their package set was quite
> reduced relatively to the Debian offer for children.

Yes, it seems to be a subset.  But for some reason this subset was
choosen and it is brain dead simple to create this metapackage using
Blends tools.  From my point of view it is a nice chance to demonstrate
the simplicity of using Blends tools (and by doing so come closer to
Debian).

> > I really wonder whether finally all those people having the very same
> > goal like Debian Jr could finally assemble under one common hood.
> > Sometimes it seems to me that the freedom to do anything you want is
> > a really got chance to block effective cooperation.

s/got/good/

> You're right. One the one hand every distro wants its edu flavor. On the
> other hand, competing projects need a value added to make the
> difference. There may not be effective cooperation but, as the source
> code is open, I believe there is likely indirect cooperation. Note
> however that not all edu distro publishes the tools they use to build
> their distro.

I do care much more that people start their very own children
distribution without doing any research first and even if they do they
do not try contacting the according teams.  So there is no indirect
cooperation but rather ignorance.

> > Any volunteer to contact those people and offer the chances Debian Jr.
> > could offer?
>
> What would you propose the volunteer to do? Merging their packages into
> Debian Jr.? Note that I still haven't moved the DDL package sets into
> Debian Jr., I need to hurry up before the Wheezy freeze…

If you start not now (I mean this very hour) you will not manage to meet
the freeze.

> > Meanwhile I might inspect those metapackages they are using and turn
> > them into Blends code ...
>
> I'm interested in reading your analysis. I remember to have downloaded
> their customization packages years ago but did not find so many
> interesting things in the end.

I will not implement the custimisation but rather the plain metapackage
qimo-games which is enhanced a bit by some images.  This can easily
implemented using Blends tools and I plan to implement this (with low
priority - I will not care very much about the Wheezy freeze with this).

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de