Re: [debian-live-devel] xfce desktop needs some love

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:42:36 +0200
Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
> Please can you explain what the 5 settings do?

Have you looked at /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf?

> >     # Configure GDM autologin
> >     chroot /root sed -i \
> >         -e "s/^AutomaticLoginEnable=.*\$/AutomaticLoginEnable=true/" \
> >         -e "s/^AutomaticLogin=.*\$/AutomaticLogin=$USERNAME/" \
>
> Does this mean, a user need only its USERNAME without password?

The defaults.conf says:

# Automatic login, if true the first local screen will automatically logged in
# as user as set with AutomaticLogin key.
AutomaticLoginEnable=false
AutomaticLogin=

The debian-live user is "user".  This user will be automatically logged in.

> >         -e "s/^TimedLoginEnable=.*\$/TimedLoginEnable=true/" \
> >         -e "s/^TimedLogin=.*\$/TimedLogin=$USERNAME/" \
> >         -e "s/^TimedLoginDelay=.*\$/TimedLoginDelay=10/" \
>
> ...and IF a user has typet his/her LOGIN, that it will be erased
> after 10 seconds if not confirmed with <ENTER> or a klick?

Again, defaults.conf says:

# Timed login, useful for kiosks.  Log in a certain user after a certain amount
# of time.
TimedLoginEnable=false
TimedLogin=
TimedLoginDelay=30

I am not sure about the relationship between this and the prior setting.
Perhaps the AutomaticLoginEnable governs the initial login after booting
the livecd, and the TimedLoginEnable governs logging in again after
loging out.  I suppose it would not be too difficult to test this to
find out, if you would like to try.

> There was something I have asked upstream to add such behavior...
> I will re-ask upstream.

Thanks.

Ben
--