Progress on making xjig more usable, kdialog help needed

Xjig makes jigsaw puzzles.  With some help, children from ages 5 and up
can use it.  But I have always found the lack of a good UI made it
rather difficult for them, so my family hasn't taken much advantage of
it yet.

This all changed the other day when my wife reminded me about these
problems and what she wanted to solve them.  So I wrote xjig-menu for
her and the kids, and a few days later patched xjig to prevent it from
accidentally flipping over pieces when you middle-click them.

See:

http://syn.theti.ca/articles/2007/04/02/launcher-for-xjig-adds-open-dialog-and-file-conversion

and

http://bugs.debian.org/417902

There is one issue with the xjig-menu wrapper that makes it not quite
ready to release.  Does anyone know why, when I use kdialog, after
the user has made a selection, exiting the dialog box, it appears to
"hang" for a long time when run on a non-KDE desktop?  When I run
strace on it, it calls select() on several file handles, waiting a
couple of seconds after each call.  This adds up to over 15 seconds
of waiting *per* dialog box!  Now, I have written xjig-menu so that
it can use zenity instead of kdialog, but I would dearly like the
kdialog support to work because although our family uses GNOME, not
KDE, the kdialog utility supports previewing images, indispensable
for the pre-readers in the household (and very handy for those of us
who can read, too!)

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca