Re: [proposal] Simplified junior tags & debtags-based replacement for metapackages

On Monday 06 February 2006 19:33, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> In reviewing what's in debtags today for Debian Jr., I'm not entirely
> happy with the tags and would like to propose the following:
>
> - eliminate the junior::meta tags
> - eliminate the junior::arcade and junior::games-gl tags as 'arcade' and
> 'games-gl' aren't useful subclassifications of 'junior'
>
> - add junior::core for 'core' junior packages (the ones we consider to
> be mature and 'best of breed')
> - add junior::extra for 'extra' junior packages (everything else)
> - add junior::early for children in early stages of development (not
> fully developed reading/typing/mousing skills)
>
> I think these three tags, in conjunction with the others, are sufficient
> to classify any piece of software in Debian Jr. better even than my
> metapackage classification.

First of all, this is a great idea. I like it.

I'm not 100% clear how other tags are laid out elsewhere, but I think that you
may still want to include subclassifications for 'OpenGL' apps.

I can think of many situations (especially where hardware is suspect) that you
wouldn't want to include any Open GL apps whatsoever.

Now, if there is some other tag elsewhere where you can specify this, then
it's a moot point.