Re: lletters port to gtk2

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 02:01 -0500, Rudy Godoy wrote:
> Hi there, just to let you know that I've finished to port lletters[0]
> to gtk2. I've also managed to get in touch with upstream and probably
> release this new version a upstream's.

Good stuff!  Hey, I thought upstream was dead.  So, are the two of you
going to collaborate to bring this back to life?

> So, I'd like to get feedback on the software and about application
> related issues/improvements like. Some of them I was thinking of are:
> - missing images for some languages (I'm thinking to use some of
> openclipart project)
> - improve font size and face on messages

Pop on over to #tux4kids.  These issues aren't unique to lletters.  I
think lletters would benefit form some input from other tux4kids
developers, translators and artists.

> - remove/change messages when no image is present since children are
> not likely to understand since it's supossed that they are still
> learning and the program purpose itself is to help them on this.

Well ... kids probably won't see stdout/stderr anyway, as they'd be
launching the app from the menu.  At least, I've seen warning messages
for missing sounds here -- when do messages for missing images show up.
Can you provide a test case?  Or did you mean sounds?

Yeah, it would be cleaner without these messages, though.  How about
adding some command-line options?  For starters: --version, --help,
--debug.  Turn on those messages only if --debug is specified.

> You can grab a copy here for x86, there are .diff.gz and .changes file
> also if need to build on another arch.
> http://stone-head.org/debian/pkg/lletters_0.1.95-8+gtk2_i386.deb
>
> Feel free to send comments here or patches/feedback to bug #290682

I'll be trying it out some more with my kids.  This is great news.
Lletters is unique among Debian packages, being one of the very few that
are truly suitable for very young children.

Ben