Re: Kid profiles

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 13:46 +0200, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> On Monday 10 October 2005 21:28, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> > When you say cross-desktop, does that include systems with only a WM and
> > not GNOME or KDE?
>
> At the moment that includes Freedesktop, KDE, Gnome, XFCE (>= 4.2), ROX,
> GNUSTEP and UDE. As far as i know that's everything that bills itself as a
> DE inside of Debian. I'll be happy to add any window managers that supports
> some profile mechanism if somebody can point me to the relevant
> documentation
> (I might go over all WM's in Debian at some point, but since everybody uses
> their own different terminology for 'profile' it's timeconsuming to find
> the right documentation, that is _if_ they support it off course, and
> there's lots of WM's)

I'm not at this point requesting profiles be supported on WMs.  I just
asked for clarification.  So long as we note the limitations of
profiles, we needn't worry about it any further unless we find there is
a real need for profiles on bare WMs.  A few potential scenarios that
spring to mind are:

1. a "light" live CD supporting Jr. profiles, but not including a DE;
leaving off the DE leaves more room for other things

2. LTSP.  in the interest of keeping memory usage per client down, a DE
might not be desirable.

3. older hardware with low memory.

But it is best to leave those bridges uncrossed for now.  I think we
should just go ahead and carve out a few initial categories and populate
them with material and worry about this issue later.

Ben