Re: Candidates for removal

Hello *,

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 10:37:01AM -0500, Sam Hart wrote:
> >> 1266 days: tuxtype (0 waiting, new pkg, has RC bugs) [Rune B. Broberg]
> >>  Copyright issues (see bug 218908).  Jeroen wrote "let's see if someone
> >>  interested jumps in, otherwise, removal seems to be the best option to me."
> >>  -- on 21 June.  Someone said that they were trying to make a sponsored
> >>  upload on 18 August; I've pinged them.
>
> [...]
> Nearly every graphic, sound and animation was something that I created
> except for a few images which were pulled from the Copyright Free Photo
> Archive here: http://gimp-savvy.com/PHOTO-ARCHIVE/index.html

...and the copyright (and redistribution terms) for those images needs
to be explicitely listed. Only _most_ of the pictures at this archive
are really free to use, as I understand it. E.g. this archive lists
the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as one of their main sources, but
the FWS say "Not all the information on our site is in the public
domain. Some images/graphics are licensed for use under the copyright
law, [...]" (<http://www.fws.gov/help/policies.html#copyright>). Please
see <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=218908;msg=29>
for a longer list dealing with tuxtype_1.5.3 (not in Debian, but parts
of this list apply to 1.0 currently present in Debian as well, see
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=218908;msg=41>.

> Beyond the 1.0 release, there may have been some graphics that

Graphics, sound files and fonts.

> originated from somewhere else, I'm afraid you'd have to track down and
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ask Jesse Andrews for those details.
> [...]
> If anyone is willing to work with me to identify what /specifically/ is
> needed for it, I'd be more than obliged.

Methinks you already named it as underlined above, but possibly some
other people might want to chime in at this point...

BTW, there's someone interested in maintaining tuxtype, but currently
his approach seems to be to remove all questionable media files from
the package... Nathanael Nerode is on the spot, however.

Cheers,
Flo