Re: [debian-jr] Re: Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:52:40PM -0600, Terry Hancock wrote:
<snip>
> What am I missing here?  Does anyone who advocates this
> program actually USE it?  If so, what kind of hardware are
> you running?!   Not a rhetorical question -- I've loaded
> this program up to evaluate it several times, with
> gradually increasing hardware caps, but each time I get the
> same results.  I'm starting to get a complex about it. ;-)

I'm using OOo 1.1beta (had used 1.0 previously, and StarOffice 5.2 before
that).

I've found it much more stable and usable than KDE's KOffice
(specifially KWord).  KWord would crash on my, and had all sorts of
problems printing. (Konq was the same for a while.)

I'm running KDE 3.1 for Woody, tho, so I'm on a semi-bleeding edge.

OOo works great for me.  I've written letters and made flyers in it.
I was at a friend's house yesterday.  She has ancient StarOffice 5.2,
but we were, with not too much effort, print personalized envelope labels,
businesscards, and letterhead for her using a graphic she made
(and which I cleaned up in Gimp).

Biggest issue I've had with SO5.2 was irritating paper-size.
(OOps, forgot to set to US Letter again! Damnit!)

-bill!