Re: [Slightly OT] Philosophy (was Re: Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?)

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 04:13:49PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Why expose children to computers at such a young age?  Shouldn't
> they be running and jumping, playing with toys, coloring, cutting,
> riding bike/scooter, etc, instead?

(Gosh, I never thought of that. Guess we should close down Debian Jr.)

> Yes, I have 2 young children: boy aged 5.67, girl aged 4.25, and
> yes, I am a database administrator (after being a programmer for
> many years), and I've been very successful at it, while not having
> been exposed to computers until 12th grade.  (Although I could have
> used WordStar to type book reports & term papers.)

That doesn't mean anything one way or the other: you can't tell
what your life would have been like had you started using computers
earlier. Nor can I tell what mine would have been like had I not
been exposed to computers as a child. Until one or the other of us
can find a proper study, it's not really worth quoting such things
as evidence.