Tux Paint

Hello all!  It's about time I signed up for this list. :)

This is Bill Kendrick.  I've written quite a few games for Linux, a number
of which have found their way into the Debian Jr. project.
(Circus Linux!, Bug Squish, Defendguin, Mad Bomber, and so forth)

I'm also lead programmer of "Tux, of Math Command", a Tux4Kids project.

Anyway, I wanted to announce that I've begun work on a new for-kids
program.  A friend of mine recently mentioned that he installed Debian Jr.
for his kids, and explained that many programs that get put in "Jr."
are really just regular Linux programs that kids might want to use.

One example he gave was The Gimp.  Gimp is one of my absolute favorite
programs (I've given talks on it at least three times, and will again
at a Web development users group this July).

But... I can't imagine some 3- or 4-year-old kid trying to figure it out
without getting frustrated. :)

So... I've started writing "Tux Paint," a simplified (and kind of
constricted) painting program that uses libSDL.  (To be released as GPL,
and probably under Tux4Kids.org)

You can see screenshots of what I have so far (as well as the mockup
I whipped up just before, to give me an idea of how it should look)
on my website, here:

  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/

Right now, it's just a few screenshots - not even an HTML page.
I'll get to that later.  It's already 8:30pm and I'm still at work.
I need to go home and eat. :)

Enjoy!  Once it can _do_ something (e.g., let the user draw), I'll
release an alpha version for people to prod at.

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/