Re: DEB packaging request

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Harry McGregor wrote:

> Well, I guess I will though in a few ideas... I don't post to the
> debian-jr list often, but several of you probably know me (Ben, Sam,
> etc).

Yup, sure do ;-)

> > To be honest, what we're doing is taking a lot from Debain. I really like
> > the way Debian handles things (orphaned packages, WNPP, etc), so I'm
> > trying to push to make our organization more modular, and less reliant on
> > certain key individuals (such as myself) who can be flaky (such as myself
> > ;-)
>
> Come on Sam you are being too hard on yourself.

I've had way too many problems in my personal life (most recently, father
getting pace-maker) to say that I haven't been a flake. When you suddenly
don't answer e-mails for a month, you're a flake ;-)

> Anyone that asks about debs for download does not under stand debian...
> that is one of the first things I clear up with my Linux networking
> classes at the local community college.

I know, but bear in mind that the people that help us out at tux4kids are
a pretty diverse bunch, and most Linux developers we have come from the
RPM realm. We actually had a dispute at one point between one of our
developers and a debian packager because they wanted the deb on our site
:-/ (As a matter of fact, this was the reason I first got into Debian, so
I could be better informed if such conlficts came up in the future).

> > (FYI, tuxmath is headed by Bill Kendrick, and is a math game that plays
> > like Missle Command. After Sept.11th, the project got hammered pretty
> > severely because of certain imagery we had in the game that we all became
> > very concerned about post 9/11... Now that's many months later, it seems
> > innocent again and I really want to see the project flourish)
>
> Well, then I hope that you don't mind me mentioning it during my
> presentation at linux world 2002 san francisco <duck>

Mentioning Tux of Math Command? No, go right ahead. We're actually trying
to get people back interested in the project again. Though, I need to
update the site for it (I've been avoiding it because of all the pain it
caused shortly after 9/11... We were really hard on ourselves immediately
following it:
http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/thread.php3?subject=%5BTuxmath-devel%5D+Changing+TuxMath&list=15167
)

And it would be wonderful if we could get a deb package of it by then as
well. Currently, I think that the DEB package is the only one we're lacking for
it.

> I am thinking of this list as a status list, new version available for
> packing, etc.  I think most maintainers would freely subscribe, unless
> they were told that they had to.

That's a much better way of explaining it. I think I may suggest to the
list maintainer that he uses that description.

--
Sam Hart
University/Work addr. <hart@physics.arizona.edu>