Re: Squeak (Was: Ardour, Sound Agnula/DeMuDi)

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> It does look good.  However, the inclusion of Apple fonts in Squeak (which
> are not DFSG-free) has long been a sore spot so far as including Squeak in
> Debian is concerned.  It puts squeak squarely in non-free.  As such, it
> cannot be included in Debian Jr. even if it is packaged.
Interesting point.  I decided to build med-*-contrib meta packages if
there is some software in contrib or non-free which is interesting for
Debian-Med.  But you are right - it is no offcial Debian and thus it
can't be offical Debian-{Junior,Med,Edu}.

> I thought, from my review of Squeak mailing list archives, that some time
> ago the Squeak developers agreed in principle that the Apple fonts should be
> replaced with free alternatives.  I don't know if any progress has been made
> on this front.  Would you like to ask?
While I would like to ask I really do not have the time for further
investigation into this topic but I would really love if somebody could
care about it.  On the other hands if we would have packages in non-free
now we could easily move it to main if fonts would be replaced.  People
could have a look at it how cute this program is and efforts to make it
really free could increase.

Kind regards

        Andreas.