Re: Squeak (Was: Ardour, Sound Agnula/DeMuDi)

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 08:43:33AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> > Heh :) I know it since I'm going through the same process to launch
> > debian-edu ...
> Nice to hear that there is another internal project evolving ...
>
> By the way what do you and the people on Debian-Jr thinking about
>
>      http://bugs.debian.org/149383
>
> When I have seen Squeak working at LinuxTag Karlsruhe this year I was
> deeply impressed. It is something what we *really* want included in
> Debian!

It does look good.  However, the inclusion of Apple fonts in Squeak (which
are not DFSG-free) has long been a sore spot so far as including Squeak in
Debian is concerned.  It puts squeak squarely in non-free.  As such, it
cannot be included in Debian Jr. even if it is packaged.

I thought, from my review of Squeak mailing list archives, that some time
ago the Squeak developers agreed in principle that the Apple fonts should be
replaced with free alternatives.  I don't know if any progress has been made
on this front.  Would you like to ask?

Regards,
Ben