Left-Right fight game

Okay, this is a *weird* tie-in, but I was watching an
anime a few days ago, called (in English) "Martian
Successor Nadesico" (the "Martian Successor" part is
something completely different in Japanese, but I've
never been able to figure it out -- too slow at Kanji).

Anyway, one of the characters was playing a really
cute video game, in which the kanji "left" and "right"
are pitted against each other -- just like one of
those martial-arts fighting games that were very
popular in arcades the last time I was in one (but
that's been awhile).  Anyway, this is a decidedly
less violent (or less graphically violent) version
of this genre of game -- i.e. a kid-appropriate
game.  So I was wondering what it would take to
realize such a thing. I know my kids would love it.

I'm pretty sure I could come up with animation
resources for such a game, and possibly add other
alternative symbols beside "right"/"left"
("Up"/"Down" "Sky"/"Ocean" ...?), etc.

Since fight games were so popular, I'm wondering if
there's any kind of already-existing toolkit or
framework for them.  I'm not sure exactly what
resources I'd need to create -- there must be some
range of "punches" or "kicks" etc.  The games are
similar to "side-scrolling" games, I think.

Anyway, does anyone have any leads on a system I
could create resources for?

Thanks!

Terry Hancock
hancock@anansispaceworks.com