FW: [LUNI] Fwd: gnu for kids

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Jinks [mailto:mjinks@saecos.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 6:58 PM
To: luni@luni.org
Subject: [LUNI] Fwd: gnu for kids

--- Begin Message ---
[From Prang's Natural History Series for Children, Cow Family, (c) 1877]

Horned Horse, or GNU

" What strange creature have we here?" asked Fred.
" He is not only strange, but Gnu," said Uncle Willy.
" So you do make bad jokes some times?" said Cousin Kate.
The Gnu himself seems to be a sort of bad joke, " said Uncle Willy.  "He
has legs like an antelope's, - and he is a kind of antelope, - but he has
the horns of an ox and the mane and tail of a horse."
" His breast is covered with hair," said Fred, " and his whiskers look
some
like a tiger's."
" No wonder the people of South Africa call him 'Wildbeeste," said Cousin
Kate.
" Is he wild? Will he hurt you ? " asked Nanny.
" He is wild, " said Uncle Willy, " but he will not hurt you unless you
try to hurt him, or put yourself in his way.  If he comes at you he comes
by dropping upon his knees and springing suddenly forward.  It is not safe
to attack a herd, for if one is killed, the others all run at the
hunter. If the hunter climbs a tree, they throw themselves against the
tree.  They are timid, but at the same time have a great deal of
curiosity."
" If you will wait a moment," said Cousin Kate, "I will read you something
from Mr. Cumming's book of travels." Cousin Kate brought Mr. Cumming's
book, and read he a little of what he says of the behavior of Gnus when
attacked.
"'They commence whisking their long white tails, then, springing suddenly
into the air, they begin pawing and capering, and pursue each other in
circles at their utmost speed. Suddenly they all pull up together to
overhaul the intruder, - then. quickly wheeling about, they kick up heels,
whirl their tails with a fantastic flourish, and scour across the plain,
envelopeed in a cloud of dust.'
"I have read somewhere," said Cousin Kate, "that Gnus have so much
curiosity, that if a hunter will tie a red handkerchief to the muzzle of
his gun, they will go within gunshot to get a good view of it."
"I wonder if a Gnu can be tamed," said Fred.
"I think the Dutch settlers in South Africa have succeeded in taming a
few, but for some reasons this is not done very often.  Other cattle don't
like them at all."
" He does n't look like an animal we should care to have about us for a
pet," said Cousin Kate.