Re: Browsers

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 06:51:11PM +0100, newslettersdf@cwcom.net wrote:

> Browsing through the archives I came across your discussions on web browsers
> for children so heres my (little) input.
>
> GUI Browser:
> Mozilla (probably the best)

I have tried galeon lately and I think it beats mozilla.  Definitely
lighter on resources.  Too bad about depending on gnome.  I run a
non-gnome system and installed galeon and was very impressed.  But it's
too much to ask non-gnome users to have to install all the gnome base
libraries to use task-junior.

> Netscape (too big and a little unreliable and generaly probably not so good
> as mozilla)

Not to mention non-free, so it's right out.

> Light GUI Browser:
> Chimera2 (Getting on a bit now and not as child friendly as some of the newer
> alternatives)
> Gzilla (Small taking me less than a minute to download and very simple! but
> it is very much basic as it only supports HTML as far as I know and non of the
> extras eg. java)

I tried amaya on a 486dx/66 with 32M and at first it seemed OK, but I find
it crashes X if I start it and then switch to a virtual console.  Bleh.  I
don't want that kind of instability in task-junior, at least not in a core
component.

I haven't tried either Chimera2 or Gzilla.  Anyone have experience using
these on really light systems?

> Text Browser:
> Lynx (first and only thing which comes to mind)

We've pretty much settled on not bothering with a text-based browser.

Ben