Re: What about programming

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:24:45 +0800
Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire@ext.cri74.org> wrote:

Hilaire> During a discussion on #debian-jr with Anne, Ben, Georges and myself
Hilaire> we fall - as techno people we are - in a discussion about including
Hilaire> programming language in Debian-JR
Hilaire> We talk about Logo, Scheme, Basic , Python.

I've found Karel The Robot to be quite interesting also, here the introduction
by the author.

"My first college computer class, in the fall of 1982, used `Karel
the Robot' as the introduction to programming in Pascal.  I found it an
entertaining and useful introduction to structured programming.  While
structured programming has fallen out of favor in deference to object
oriented programming, I still think this can be a useful introduction
to computer programming.  And I think that children are entertained by
the idea of instructing a robot to perform a task, and then watching
the robot actually follow the instructions."

NB: if you want to test it, you also need to supply a word (.wld file) with
the programm file (.k file):
gtk/karelg samples/simple.k samples/room1.wld

Hilaire

--
OFSET - Organization for Free Software in Education and Teaching
http://www.ofset.org