Re: Debian for education and PingOO

Fabian wrote:-
>IMHO, there are a few important points in such a project :
>- light administration ==> we wan't to remove computing task to teachers
>to let them do what they know : teaching ; so we have to explore
>diskless solutions and other things like this

I'm currently doing some work with remote X-Terminals. I've got one working on a
486 with 8M RAM and using about 120M of hard-drive. I'm sure the hard drive
space can be reduced further, I just installed a base system, then installed the
X components. At the moment I connect it manually, but this can be easily
automated. Ben recommended checking with the X-srikeforce to see if such a
project already exists, but I didn't see one. I can foresee a task-x-terminal
that would install the absolute bare minimum for a remote X terminal and
configure it to automatically connect to a chosen system or a chooser.
Unfortunately I don't know enough about the Debian package management system to
do this myself, but would be interested in working on such a project. I plan to
use my X-terminals for a school environment, but it could have so many other
applications.

>- education programs ==> packaging of free educationnal softwares (this
>rejoins OFSET work)

With Debian-JR's work, and others, it could be as easy as just installing
task-debian-junior, task-debian-edu, task-debian-admin.
Debian-JR provides a good list of software of interest for the young and young
at heart. Debian-EDU can concentrate on more education-oriented software and
Debian-Admin could provide a good, organised admin package to simplify sys-admin
tasks for people without decades of computer experience. I'm sure there are
other areas that can be used as well. I think the best idea is with the new
task-based installs, several groups can set-up different tasks, and the end-user
can pick and choose the tasks needed for their application.

>- Internationalization of Debian ==> for the moment, I don't think it is
>as ready for other countries than a Mandrake distribution for example
>(package description is in english,...)

I know some of the people who were involved in the Irish language work for
Mandrake. This involved primarily the install scripts. I also believe the Debian
provides the widest internationalisation support, but I could be wrong. Even so,
it should be simple to install the mandrake internationalisation files into
Debian, once the filesystem differences are taken into account. This would just
take people to work on it.

In conclusion, I would just like to say I'm very happy to see your commitment to
Linux in Education. I would be glad to help in any way I can, even though my
skills are limited. If we all do our little part, a lot can get done!

Cheers,

     John Gay