Re: Debian for education and PingOO

Hello, I am new on this list and I am going to answer some questions
about PingOO and give official position about PingOO and Debian...

Thanks to Hilaire Fernandes to alert us about this discussion.

1) About automated installation
For the moment, Debian is based on the old Debian Slink. But, It will
use the new Debian Potato (or maybe Woody) in the future (we can't give
delay for the moment)
So, we could not use debconf which doesn't exist for slink
And, I am not sure debconf is the good solution.
You can check the installation method we are using in the documentation
:
http://www.pingoo.org/docs/dev/install-en/
We are now using debian packaging for installation, configuration and
upgrade.

For the next version, we will look at replicator, cfengine or FAI.
It will be more flexible...

2) About integration of PingOO in the standard Debian distribution
It was not possible because of our precedent choice (Java administration
interface, particular installation method and upgrade, system
administration,...), but I hope we can do this in the future with the
new version.
The next administration interface will be a web-based interface (I don't
know for the moment which tool we are going to use, maybe php).

3) About Workstation
We are starting to work on end-users computer, so we are interested in
your work about Debian and Educational use.

I will give you more informations later about this...

ps : sorry for my bad english :)

Fabien SALVI      Centre de Ressources Informatiques
                  Archamps, France -- http://www.cri74.org
                  PingOO GNU/linux distribution : http://www.pingoo.org