Re: Debian for education

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 12:56:19PM +0800, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> Dividing by age is one way. Another one is to divide by thema. Some time
> a 5 years old kid will use a 8 years old category game. Another time this
> will be the inverse. However finding thema may be more difficult
> than age range group.

Yes, that's the basic idea.  I have observed especially in a household
with children of different ages that having the same software available to
all of the children encourages them to grow with it and help each other
get more out of the system.

> Some ideas: alpabet games, number games, arithmetic games,
> relfexion game.

Sure.  Have a look at the "packaged for Debian Jr." list at
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-jr/packaged to see the beginnings
of that sort of classification.  In particular, for the "Education"
section I have started filling out different subcategories addressing
different skill areas.

> What can be good is to cross categories: I mean to get at the same time
> age categroy and thema category. Is it possible?

There is certainly nothing preventing a package from being included in
multiple meta packages (e.g. gcompris could be in jr-basic-skills,
jr-typing, etc.).  However, although the menu policy doesn't seem to
prohibit it, I think it is "cleaner" to have a program only appear in
the menu in the category for which the program is a "best fit".

Ben