Debian alternative for keywack or babytype?

All ,

On the package page for Debian-Jr @
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-jr/packaged it says

<snip>
A classic, loved by the whole family. (J, only 2, loves the sounds and
bright colors while others play :)
<snip>
What about a program for J?

My question is "Is there a KEYWACK for apple/mac
(http://www.kidsdomain.com/down/mac/keywhack.html), or BabyType
for windows (http://www.raize.com/BabyType/)alternative for debian?"

These programs act as screen savers that requires either a mouse click
or special key combination to disable.  When a key is punched the
programs display pretty shapes, or the key you pressed, and plays a
sound.   I really like the Mac version because it requires a special key
combination to receive a dialog box, then gives you a few seconds to
turn of the program by requiring a password.  The mac version also plays
a sound and displays a graphic for mouse clicks.  Both of these are
geared to very young children.

I have basically no programming experience but if this is not available
I would like it if someone could point me to a good place to start.  I
thought a keyboard reading program would be a good base and maybe assign
a graphic routine to each key.  Maybe some sort of geodesic pattern
generator that uses the hex value of the keyboard to make different
shapes,  allowing different shapes for multiple key combinations?

Any help or pointers to a current project is appreciated.

Scott