Re: Debian Graded for kids

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Annie Pinder wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I had an idea about making debian availiable to all. How about having
> differant groups of ages. Each age group has a group, with a name (perhaps
> based on something debian/unixy). These allow differant levels of security
> appropriate to the target age. So for example:
Like a set of task- packages, but with a few scripts?

> Group One:
> 2-4: X only, no delete access. Perhaps an orientation towards "pretty" programs.
>
> Group Two:
> 5-7:  Mainly X, introducing some cool programs where simple instructions
> should be typed in the command line. A reminder screen when opening the
> terminal what each thing does. Limited delete access
That reminds me of a program I came across once, an expert system for xterms.
I can't remember the exact details, but it was sort of a "Shell
Assistant", which may be ideal for kids. I'll see if I can dig it up again.

> And you get the idea. Instead of using age ranges, perhaps using names (with
> age recommendations) would mean that a child is not restricted.
>
> This also makes it a lot easier for the parent.
It may also be a lot nicer for parents of children with learning difficulties
to not have too many reminders that certain software is intended for certain
age groups.