Re: debian junior looking for help with menus

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, joost witteveen wrote:

> That was what I intended to say: the menu file I showed was not
> from the menu package, but from debian-jr (or debian-rating, or whatever).
OK, I get that now.

> > Where e-rating rates the educational value, and e-area is the area of
> > educational benefit a child can gain from the program (in this case,
>
> Find with me -- I only intend to provide the menu infrastructure;
> whatever you cal the tags is up to debian-jr
>
> > Of course, this would imply having a similar menu structure for the
> > parent(s) who will maintain the menu.
>
> This part I don't understand. The children can have their own
> translation files, and there own menu.h files, so the parent's
> don't need to have the same structure as the children.
Hmm. I think that was caffeine speaking in place of my braincells.

> > Basically, I'd rather see any ratings be recommendations, and not
> > enforced.
>
> This remark I also don't understand. As the x-rating tags
> are set in /etc/menu/menu.h, the system admin can always
> change them (/etc/* should be conffiles). And, even a
> local user can change the settins in ~/.menu/whatever .
Coffee vs brain agin - I just saw x-rating and went "Agh! Censorship"

> Oh, and one other note. I personally think that the
> x-ranting (sex) , v-rating (violence), e-rating (education)
> are usefull genereally, not just for debian-jr.
> On any system, there may well be religious people,
> that could be very offended by x-rated programs; or
Or non-religious people who don't want to see religious stuff :)

> others that don't want to see the violent programs.
> It's not just children that might use this info.
> That's why I proposed to put the information in
> debian-rating.
Yeah, that all makes sense to me now. Thanks for the clarification.

> --
> joostje

Jimmy

--
"The Information Superhighway made it possible for the average person
to find out what some nerd thinks about Star Trek"

http://lit.compsoc.com/
http://www.litsu.ie/

GPG Fingerprint: B6C4 9E2B C62F 1B05 FC0D  F543 6800 67C7 FF5D 8291