Senior Linux Systems Administrator at Smartleaf [Cambridge MA USA]
Senior Systems Administrator at Smartleaf
We are looking for a systems administration generalist to join
the IT/Ops team. A successful candidate is likely to have 8 or more
years of experience managing Linux and other UNIX systems.
Smartleaf is a small, profitable, and privately held company which
helps some of the largest firms in finance manage portfolios for their
clients. More details can, of course, be found in the obvious place:
This is a hands-on operations team with 24/7 responsibility. Billions
of dollars of other people's money flow through our systems, and we
would rather not embarrass ourselves. Our processes are, or should be,
scalable, repeatable, and recoverable. We identify problems and help
solve them, no matter where they are in the systems. When we need a
better tool, we find it or build it. Our cardinal virtues are laziness,
impatience and hubris.
Our offices are a few minutes walk from the Kendall T stop in Cambridge,
MA. There's parking below us, a bike rack and a shower. Dress is casual.
This is not an all-remote position. Right to work in the USA is required.
An H1B visa is unlikely to be available.
This team handles:
* building and maintaining environments for development, test, and
* building & maintaining internal & colo networks
* helping to maintain IT services such as mail, printing and Asterisk PBX
* some minor desktop user support - Linux, Mac, a few Windows.
* automating work with our configuration management system, Tuttle
* documenting work so that you are happy to see it at 3AM
* assisting in project planning, budgeting, and resource management
* and everything else that could possibly fall under the IT/Operations
umbrella in a small company
There is an overnight on-call rotation. About 3% of your on-call nights
will involve actually being woken up -- we'd like to make that zero,
and you'll have power to help make those changes.
Our technology stack includes Debian Linux, a systems automation
suite called Tuttle, Oracle, Ruby, Rails, C++, Perl, git, svn. We use
RequestTracker for ticketing. Routers and firewalls are Cisco, Juniper
and Linux. We're moving off of Cisco and towards Juniper.
You should have experience with installation and configuration
automation. Some knowledge of Debian and RPM packaging systems is
desirable, as is familiarity with at least one configuration management
system such as cfengine, Puppet or Chef.
You must have:
* extensive systems administration experience
* preferably with Debian or Ubuntu and a Red Hat-style Linux distribution
* comfortable shell scripting and one or more of Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.
* strengths in several areas that complement our other team members
You must be:
* clever, competent, and kind.
Useful skills include:
* Other UNIXen besides Linux, especially NetBSD or OpenBSD
* Oracle, MySQL or Postgres administration
* IPsec, Postfix, qmail, BIND, Apache, C,
C++, Cisco, Juniper, mon, Samba, SVN, git, RequestTracker, Jira and
Please send cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org in plain text,
HTML, OpenOffice or PDF. In your cover letter, please tell us about an
interesting technical problem that you have solved.