Re: OpenJDK for Bookworm and beyond

Le 29/09/2022 à 14:06, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :

Last point, we still have OpenJDK 8 in unstable to help with the bootstrapping
of some packages that can't build directly with the latest JDK (more
specifically, Kotlin and Scala). Similarly I think we should preserve OpenJDK
11 in unstable after the transition to OpenJDK 17.

Who’s going to maintain that?

I don't think the maintenance is a concern, we only have to ensure it keeps building in sid. It's just to compile stuff in sid, not to run critical production systems.

So I think we should keep 11 around *only* if someone (could be Doko,
could be someone else) commits to maintaining it. If nobody does, Scala
and Kotlin are SOL.

I don't mind for Scala, but Kotlin can't be ignored unfortunately. Its integration into Gradle makes it an essential part of the Java ecosystem.

Emmanuel Bourg