OpenJDK for Bookworm and beyond

Hi all,

OpenJDK 11 has been the default JDK in the last two releases, and a more recent version for Bookworm is highly expected. The current LTS version is OpenJDK 17, released in September 2021 one month after Bullseye. The next LTS version will be OpenJDK 21 (the LTS cadence has been shortened from 3 to 2 years) to be released in September 2023, again shortly after the Debian release which can be expected in July or August 2023 if the rhythm of the previous releases is kept. This scenario is likely to continue in the future since the Debian and Java releases are now synchronized on the same 2 years cycle.

The first point is to plan when we'll switch the default JDK to OpenJDK 17. The transition has progressed well, with 113 bugs fixed already, but there are still 36 bugs left to fix [1] (this is a much smoother transition than the jump from OpenJDK 8 to 11 where we had to deal with over 500 bugs). There are no critical issues, the build tools and the main packages all work fine. So I suggest that we switch without waiting for the remaining bugs to be fixed. I propose to switch on October 31th for Halloween, such that the switch will unleash compatibility nightmares and runtime horrors haunting those who have ignored the bug reports for months ;) That'll leave sufficient time to address the remaining issues before the release.

Another point is how to deal with the next LTS, OpenJDK 21. For Bullseye the Security Team agreed to ship OpenJDK 17 as a "technology preview" in addition to OpenJDK 11, with no promise it would be as well supported as OpenJDK 11. In practice, thanks to Matthias and Moritz prompt uploads, the OpenJDK 17 updates landed in stable-security on average 8 days after the GA release, which is as good as the OpenJDK 11 updates. Popcon reports 4524 installs of OpenJDK 17 with a steady growth, and 51690 installs of OpenJDK 11. Assuming OpenJDK 17 users also have OpenJDK 11 installed that's about 8% of the Java users interested in the latest LTS JDK. This is a significant share of users and it shows the extra effort involved in maintaining an additional JDK is worth it.

If the Security Team agrees I think we should continue with this strategy in Bookworm and ship OpenJDK 21 in addition to OpenJDK 17. The first OpenJDK 21 EA release will be available in December well before the freeze in March, so that fits with the Bookworm release timeline.

Last point, we still have OpenJDK 8 in unstable to help with the bootstrapping of some packages that can't build directly with the latest JDK (more specifically, Kotlin and Scala). Similarly I think we should preserve OpenJDK 11 in unstable after the transition to OpenJDK 17.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=default-java17;users=debian-java@lists.debian.org