Tomcat 10 packaging

Hi all,

For Debian Bookworm I'd like to replace Tomcat 9 with Tomcat 10. But this time instead of introducing a "tomcat10" package, I wonder if we could instead create a version-less "tomcat" package and keep it for the next major releases.

Pros:
- no need to create a new package, replacing tomcat<n> with tomcat<n+1> everywhere, and then wait for the NEW queue
- unique packaging repository
- no more transition, replacing the libtomcat<n>-java dependency with libtomcat<n+1>-java everywhere (currently about 15 packages) - no need to install tomcat<n+1> and transfer /etc/tomcat<n> to /etc/tomcat<n+1> when upgrading Debian - the log files and the deployed web applications also remain at the same place

Cons:
- the unique repository will probably have multiple upstream branches when Tomcat upgrades are uploaded to oldstable as part of the LTS, this may be tricky with gbp - if the new configuration files are incompatible with the previous format, upgrading Debian may break the Tomcat instance. Either it no longer starts, or some configuration elements or features no longer work. With separate packages, the system upgrade is unlikely to break Tomcat, but the user may forget to upgrade it and will keep an unsupported instance that is no longer receiving security updates.

What do you think?

Emmanuel Bourg