Re: OpenJDK for Bookworm and beyond

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 08:07:30PM +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 29/09/2022 à 14:06, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :
>
> > > Last point, we still have OpenJDK 8 in unstable to help with the bootstrapping
> > > of some packages that can't build directly with the latest JDK (more
> > > specifically, Kotlin and Scala). Similarly I think we should preserve OpenJDK
> > > 11 in unstable after the transition to OpenJDK 17.
> >
> > Who’s going to maintain that?
>
> I don't think the maintenance is a concern, we only have to ensure it keeps
> building in sid. It's just to compile stuff in sid, not to run critical
> production systems.
>
> > So I think we should keep 11 around *only* if someone (could be Doko,
> > could be someone else) commits to maintaining it. If nobody does, Scala
> > and Kotlin are SOL.
>
> I don't mind for Scala, but Kotlin can't be ignored unfortunately. Its
> integration into Gradle makes it an essential part of the Java ecosystem.

I've not yet completely given up on the kotlin/gradle bootstrapping
problem, but I'm still learning the skills needed to bang my head
against the wall. Please don't remove 8 or 11 from unstable for the
medium term if at all possible in any way as that would just be so much
blocking work to somehow boostrap the openjdk itself locally as well.

Gradle version "being worked on" is 6.4.1 which declares compatibility
with 8 and 11. Only the absolute latest gradle version 7.3 finally adds
support for 17, so that won't be possible any time soon. Kotlin in
unstable currently builds with 8 but 11 should be possible, see #10.

https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/gradle/-/tree/gradle-6.4.1-initial
https://docs.gradle.org/6.4.1/userguide/compatibility.html
https://docs.gradle.org/7.3/userguide/compatibility.html
https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/kotlin/-/issues/10

In general both gradle and kotlin seem to actually be good with long
backwards compatibility here so there is reason to hope for a somewhat
rapid version ratcheting once the initial cross compatible uploads are
done. kotlin 1.7 is the first release to require gradle 6.7, so 1.6.21
should be the next target if it turns out to be possible to skip that
far. Alternatively 1.3.72 is the earliest leap for latest gradle.

https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/kotlin/-/issues/16