Re: service-wrapper-java 20 releases / 6 years behind

On 6/9/22 2:44 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
Le 2022-06-05 18:27, zzz a écrit :
This is a dependency of the i2p project that I work on.
If there's any maintainer available to bring it up-to-date,
I'd really appreciate it.
thanks!

I wonder if service wrapper is really necessary for i2p. As I understand it's mostly used to turn a Java application into a service on Windows, handle the logs and restart the application if it crashes. But Debian has its own tools to manage services. The same reasonning applies to libcommons-daemon-java used by activemq.

Emmanuel Bourg

Hi Emmanuel, it's a good question.

Yes, those are the main benefits, and there are others such as signal handling.

Yes, given your assumptions (Debian package as a service), there are other ways to do it.
We do provide a non-wrapper startup script installed on debian as /usr/bin/i2prouter-nowrapper.
But the wrapper dependency would remain without a lot of refactoring.

However, if not running as a service (we give the user the option at install time),
then it gets much much harder without the wrapper to provide those features.

And for us as upstream devs, having the wrapper deal with all the cross-platform, cross-OS issues makes things a heck of a lot easier for us.
Not just on Windows but on all the other platforms. We spend most of our time in Java and it's nice
to outsource all those issues to the wrapper.

zzz