Re: Kotlin: looking for a DD to review/upload

On 06/05/21 9:32 am, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 4/29/21 5:01 PM, Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Kotlin packaging[1] is in a good shape and ready to be uploaded[2] into
>> Debian. We need a DD willing to upload it.
>
>> The actual upload needs to wait for openjdk-8, which is currently in the
>> NEW queue, to be accepted first. However, the wait time can be used to
>> do any final reviews.
>
> - please can we have a sane upstream version? Like 1.3.31
>   and then document in debian/README.source about the additional
>   components added?  Is it likely that these other components
>   need updates without a kotlin update?

The two small components were added to the package only to make the
bootstrapping process simpler. After the bootstrapping process is done
and kotlin is in Debian, we can separate out the two components into
their own deb packages and have a clean version number for kotlin (along
with new version packaging). Can we tolerate this until then?

> - debian/bootstrap creates a deb, which has the deb itself
>   in the root directory.

This was known but ignored as bootstrap process is only used as input
for stage1 (stage3/4 output will be uploaded into Debian). This
lingering deb is the result of creating the output deb file in a
directory that is being packed into the deb.

> - debian/rules has
>         export JDK_16="/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64"
>         export JDK_17="/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64"
>         export JDK_18="/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64"
>         export JDK_9="/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64"
>   which are meaningless, as every command is executed in its
>   own subshell.

I will do this cleanup.

> - after installing the bootstrap deb, and trying the build,
>   I get:
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project kotlin-maven-plugin: Could not resolve
> dependencies for project
> org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-maven-plugin:maven-plugin:1.3.31: The following
> artifacts could not be resolved:
> org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-compiler:jar:1.3.31,
> org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-scripting-compiler:jar:1.3.31: Cannot access central
> (https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2) in offline mode and the artifact
> org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-compiler:jar:1.3.31 has not been downloaded from it
> before. -> [Help 1]

This must be because of the recent changes to build two additional jar
files needed by other projects. Since these missing dependencies are
part of the built kotlin deb after stage1 and we didn't test the full
bootstrap with the recent changes, we didn't face this issue. I will fix
this on priority.

To work around:

- An older commit 8455d719 will likely not have the issue.
- Using a pre-build binary[1] will likely not have the issue.

Links:

1) https://www.emorrp1.name/kotlin/

--
Sunil