RE: Joining the Team

Hi

Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote on 2021-04-26:
> On 28/03/21 9:26 pm, Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am part the FreedomBox team which works on making privacy respecting
>> home servers easy to manage with Debian. We intend to provide Jitsi[3]
>> for video conferencing in FreedomBox as part of our roadmap for this
>> year[1]. I intend to join the Debian Java Packaging team. This is to
>> package and maintain Jitsi Videobridge[2] as part of the team.
>>
>> Jitsi has a hard dependency on Kotlin as quite a bit of its code is
>> written in Kotlin. I hope to assist with Kotlin packaging as well.
>>
>> I will send out a request on Salsa to join the team.
>>
>> Links:
>>
>> 1) https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Roadmap2021
>>
>> 2) https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=757769
>>
>> 3) https://jitsi.org/
>
> [...]
>
> I have packaging for a few libraries ready[1] that can be moved under
> sdo/java-team/ namespace and prepared for upload. I have requested to
> join the java-team on salsa some time ago and the request is pending. It
> would be nice of someone accepts the request so that I can start moving
> repositories. So, this is a ping. Please let me know if I am doing this
> join request wrong.
>
> Links:
>
> 1) https://wiki.debian.org/Java/RequestedPackages/Jitsi

I'm a committer in Jitsi and lurking around here. The idea to get Jitsi Meet into Debian is IMO very ambitious. I'm wondering how you intend to keep the packages up-to-date once they entered a stable release? WebRTC is such a fast moving technology and having a year old Videobridge is likely going to be broken/not working anymore.

Also, some packages already in Debian (and some in Jitsi) are old and would need updating. For others, packaging the version used currently in Jitsi is somewhat questionable: the used version of Smack for example is a fork, upstream is at 4.4, but unfortunately, they don't follow SemVer and updating is a major pain. The same often goes with BouncyCastle. I'm currently working on building packages for Jitsi Desktop again, but I'm not considering submitting them to Debian, there are just too many floating dependencies.

I really don't want to discourage you but hoping to make you aware of the potential (and upcoming) issues. I'm not sure if you're active in Jitsi's discussions forums (I'm not), but in any case, Damencho or I would certainly help you need patches applied upstream, you can ping me in issues/PRs with @ibauersachs.

FYI, the package jain-sip-ri-oss-only is just Jain SIP/jsip [1], but without the non open-source files (src/javax/*). The Maven packing is in the Jitsi fork at [2]. The removed files are in the Debian package libsdp-api-java and libsip-api-java (as a clean-room reimplementation). java-sdp-nist-bridge is used to reconnect the deleted sources and libsdp-api-java. Jain-sip, without the repackaging, was the original reason why Jitsi Desktop never made it into Debian (i.e. past the FTP masters) and subsequent efforts were then dropped.

> Thanks,

Cheers,
Ingo

[1] https://github.com/usnistgov/jsip