Using --ignore in Maven packaging

Debian Java Maintainers,

I have now tried using the "--ignore" parameter a few times in the d/package_name.poms file for Maven packages. What seems to happen is that packages I have listed in d/maven.ignoreRules produce errors because they cannot be found for the "ignored" POM. Based on my understanding of the documentation [1][2][3], that's not how this should work. Shouldn't that POM and any artifacts it builds just be... you know.. ignored?

I'd appreciate any insight you can provide. Thanks!

-Olek

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenRepoHelper
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Java/Packaging/Maven
[3] other related links to the above...