Re: ITP: google-http-client-java -- Google HTTP Client Library for Java

Hi Sudip,

Thanks for taking a look!

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 11:03 AM Sudip Mukherjee <sudipm.mukherjee@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm hardly a Java expert so I'm interested to hear what they say when they chime in. My one input here is have you tried excluding the modules we don't need using the "--ignore" functionality in d/*.poms? Perhaps that might eliminate some of the problems you're seeing? It looks like we definitely need google-http-client-*.jar and google-http-client-jackson2-*.jar but perhaps we can do without some of the others?

<snip>

> If you need "google-http-client-*.jar" then that will mean you will
> need all the modules,

Sorry, I think I was unclear. The "*" was referring to the version number.

From a quick look at bazel
(https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/tree/master/third_party/api_client)
, it seems only "google-http-client" and "google-http-client-jackson2"
is needed. So, another quick look at the source code and it seems we
don't have "com.google.j2objc" and "io.opencensus". I think
com.google.j2objc can be ignored but we will need io.opencensus. And
you already have ITP for that. #959838. imho, "io.opencensus" needs to
be packaged before "google-http-client-java", and from that you will
mostly need "io.opencensus.common, io.opencensus.contrib and
io.opencensus.trace".

Correct, those are the only two artifacts we need. The problem with the dependencies is that opencensus depends on google-auth which in turn depends on http-client-java. ;) Yay dependencies! :) So we need to figure out how to either build http-client without opencensus or the other way around. Ideas are very welcome!

-Olek