Re: jTDS driver horribly out of date

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 11:23:39PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 11:55:59PM +0000, Ryan Morillo wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> > The jTDS driver has been at version 1.3.1 for a few years and we still
> > have 1.2.5 in the testing repo (libjtds-java) Can we get the newer
> > version packaged up and included?
> > The biggest benefit is it makes it possible to connect to MS SQL Server
> > (TSQL) on a windows domain successfully.
> > The link is here:
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/jtds/files/jtds/1.3.1/
>
> Its probably a very good idea to file a bug report against this package
> severity wishlist with subject "New version available".
>
> > If we just need someone to put the package stuff around it to make it
> > work I can write it up, but the complexities of version matching and
> > stuff are a little beyond my skill set.
>
> May be you can provide a patch which increases the chances that this
> bug will be fixed.
>
> Unfortunately its to late for Buster (and I agree its a shame).

Hi Ryan,

With so many Java packages and so few developers on the Debian Java
team, it is difficult to keep everything up to date or to determine
which old versions are affecting users.  So thank you for bringing this
up.

As Andreas suggests, please file a severity wishlist bug against the
package to help us keep track.  And if you have patches, you can attach
them to the bug.

Once buster is released, I'm willing to take a look at updating the
package.  Since the package is arch:all, it shouldn't be a problem to
use the updated package from unstable/testing on buster (assuming the
newer version doesn't pull in new dependencies not present in buster).

Cheers,
tony