Re: openjdk-8 removed from Buster?

On 30/04/2019 15.21, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> It is also not possible to run upstream Gradle binaries older than 4.8
> or 4.7.  It is a stupid bug on Gradle's part, but nonetheless, those
> versions work with OpenJDK 8.  I guess the Debian package of gradle
> fixed the issue, since it is gradle 4.4.

Yes, the Debian/Ubuntu version of Gradle 4.4.1 was fixed to also work
with OpenJDK 11 besides OpenJDK 8.

> Android Studio ships with its own (really old) embedded copy of
> OpenJDK8, so Android developers on Debian will need to do:
>
> export JAVA_HOME=/path/to/android-studio/jre

Note this is not an option for headless machines (build servers). And
also not for about half of Android devs who use Eclipse or IntelliJ (as
those don't come bundled with a JDK).

Yesterday I heard Ubuntu 19.10 will ship with OpenJDK 8, 11 and 13. I
think it makes sense to have a (limited) amount of versions to pick
from, just like with Python 2, 3 and 3.7 or GCC 8/9.