Re: openjdk-8 removed from Buster?

Our policy is to support only one version of OpenJDK per Debian release.

So this was a deliberate decision?  Can you point me at any public discussion
log? #915620 makes it look like it was a mistake.

Buster will be supported until 2024 and Red Hat has vowed to maintain OpenJDK
8 until 2023. That would leave OpenJDK 8 in Buster without security fixes for
one year.

Security fixes *from Red Hat*, sure. It's quite possible others will provide
security support after 2023. Or even that Red Hat extend their commitment.
However this does sound mostly reasonable, if seemingly post-hoc justification.

Except: have you any confidence that all the Java applications in Debian
actually work properly with OpenJDK 11? Red Hat still have hard dependencies
on Java 8 for much of their stuff, including Maven.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland