Re: ~ Re: openjdk-8 removed from Buster?

Hi Emmanuel, thanks for the prompt reply!

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 10:56:19AM +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
The removal from testing was intended (we already shipped only one JDK
in the last two releases), but the removal from unstable was a mistake.
We'll need OpenJDK 8 to bootstrap SBT (and probably Kotlin too) after
the Buster release.

OK thanks. My Red Hat colleagues describe this as "brave" :-)

Yes, we've worked hard on the transition to Java 11, fixing more than
500 issues over a year. Incompatible packages have been either upgraded,
fixed or removed. The notable exception right now is netbeans (#925509).

That's great news. Debian is actually trail blazing on this then!

Maven 3.6 works very well with OpenJDK 11. It currently builds more than
550 packages flawlessly in Buster.

Ah yes. RHEL7 have Maven 3.5 rather than .6, that might be relevant.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland