eclipse and eclipse components

Dear all,

Sometime back, I read that the eclipse that Debian provides was pretty
old. I looked up and sure enough it is a pretty old version.

The version provided by Eclipse foundation is release 4.9 while the
one which we have is 3.8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_(software)

A difference of almost 6 years.

>From what I understood while it may not be possible to update/upgrade
the whole of eclipse right away, some parts of it may be possible to
now and probably attempt to get the remaining places in the next
post-buster cycle. I have been trying, vainly I might add to know
which parts/libraries of eclipse or/and eclipse-platform have been
modernized and which are not.

For instance while eclipse itself is released at 3.8.11 eclipse-cdt is
at 8.6.0-2

 $ apt-cache policy eclipse-cdt
eclipse-cdt:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 8.6.0-2
  Version table:
     8.6.0-2 100
        100 http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages

which was introduced in 2016.

As a non-packager what could I do to help ?  Which leaf packages
should I install and any tests or something which can help in getting
parts of eclipse in buster ?

I did see https://wiki.debian.org/Eclipse and the discussion at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2017/11/msg00039.html

Looking forward to more insight though.